Some men over 50 may experience prostate growth, which can cause several uncomfortable urinary symptoms. Because of the prostate’s location in the body, when it enlarges the tube carrying urine out of the body may narrow and obstruct the emptying of the bladder. Symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) include:
- Frequent urination – Do you have to urinate again less than 2 hours after you last urinated?
- Waking up to urinate – Do you often wake up during the night to urinate?
- Weak stream – Do you often have a weak urine stream?
- Incomplete emptying – Do you often feel that your bladder is full even after urinating?
- Flow starts and stops – Does your urine frequently stop and start?
- Trouble urinating – Do you have trouble urinating, even when you need to go?
- Trouble waiting to go – Is it difficult waiting to go urinate?
There are several non-surgical treatment options available to reduce urinary symptoms in men with an enlarged prostate. In addition to reducing fluid intake before bed, reducing the consumption of alcohol and caffeine drinks, and following a voiding schedule, there are also medications available. Two medicinal options include Tamsulosin and Dutasteride. The use of Tamsulosin relaxes the muscles in the prostate and neck of the bladder and can help improve urinary symptoms, while Dutasteride improves symptoms and reduces the size of the prostate over time.
If left untreated, BPH can be a progressive disease. To learn whether you have BPH or to schedule an appointment, click the following links at either our Macon or Warner Robins locations. You may also learn more about Enlarged Prostate here.
What is the UroLift System & its Benefits?
If you suffer from BPH, you understand the frustration that accompanies it: nocturia (the frequent need to urinate at night), pain while urinating, weak urine flow, difficulty starting a urine stream, and more. The UroLift System is an innovative approach to BPH that lifts the enlarged prostate so the urethra is no longer blocked. Your frustration will soon be forgotten after having the UroLift treatment.
Benefits of the UroLift include minimally invasive treatment, rapid relief without complications, durable results after one treatment, and more. Additional benefits include:
- Does not cause bleeding requiring transfusion
- Does not cause erectile dysfunction or ejaculatory dysfunction
- Does not cause permanent urinary incontinence
- No complications associated with major surgery/general anesthesia
- No cutting, heating, or removal of tissue
Watch this video for more information about the UroLift System.View Urolift Brochure